Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Staying Sustainable in RI

Growing up on Cape Cod, and coming from a family where my father owns his own business, I have been raised to care about local businesses right in my home town. With this being said, I have been to numerous local farmer’s markets at home, but never one within Rhode Island. December 6 changed this for me though.

As my class and I hopped in the van from Bryant to Pawtucket, I wondered what I would find at this farmer’s market, if it would be similar to the ones I have been to in my past, and if it would give me insight as to what to expect while on my journey in Costa Rica. I was excited and interested for my arrival.

As the van pulled up, I was ready to adventure through the Pawtucket Wintertime Farmers Market, located at Hope Artiste Village, 1005 Main Street, Pawtucket RI. To my surprise, it was larger than the farmer’s markets I have been to in the past, and had a number of different vendors I would have never expected to see while there. I was ready to explore the different local businesses that make up a major part of our economy in Rhode Island.

My first stop was a pie company called Humble Pie Co. This was one of the most interesting vendors I spoke with during my visit. Speaking with owner Daniel Sheehan, his passion for his newly found business was obvious and inspirational.

Coming from an architectural background, Sheehan began his career in baking simply by visiting new bakeries that he discovered while constructing new buildings. As time moved forward, Sheehan’s love of bakeries grew. While pay was terrible within the architecture industry, he realized that the only way for him to ‘make it’ was to open his own business, with a product he was passionate about of course. With this realization, Sheehan decided to pursue the art of pie making. In his eyes, pie represents specific, positive characteristics, which Sheehan wanted for his company.


“Pie represents three things that we believe are important in quality baked goods. First, pie is fresh. It can use the seasonal ingredients that Rhode Islanders are so skilled at growing and producing throughout each year. Second, pie is simple. This simplicity demands that attention is paid to quality. Third, pie is community. It is made to be shared and, most importantly, made with love. Humble isn't just part of a name. It is a trait that is found in our products and our people.”
--Daniel Sheehan--

 

The most interesting and crucial fact I discovered about Sheehan’s company is that he uses local and fresh ingredients as much as possible. One example are the apples obtained from another vendor at the farmer’s market, Hill Orchards Farm. Actions like this not only pertain to the consumers, but also assist the other local businesses right in our local areas. By using as many ingredients as possible from the local small businesses, Sheehan emphasizes the importance of buying and eating local. While Sheehan’s company has only been up and running for approximately one year, he continues to communicate his sustainability efforts by attending different farmer’s markets and obtaining ingredients from other local farmers for his pies. As the company began with just Sheehan and his girlfriend, it grew larger with the inclusion of his friends as part time workers. Today, the business has expanded, allowing for full time employees. While working out of a commercial kitchen, most of the Humble Pies are actually hand made by Sheehan himself.

            

To my surprise, I was even able to taste the fresh and local ingredients within one of Sheehan’s pies myself. Being December, Sheehan gave me a taste of his specialty Linzer Torte pie. I have never tasted something so sweet and tart within one product! If in need of a pie for any occasion, I highly recommend visiting their website at Humble Pie Co. But, due to popularity, the website may tell you the pies are sold out. In this case, I recommend attending the farmer’s market yourself! In addition to their regular pies, Sheehan produces seasonal ones just like the Linzer Torte. Pies will also range anywhere from $15 to $50 depending on type and size. It’s businesses like the Humble Pie Co. that keep farms and farmers existing in today’s economy.

In addition to The Humble Pie Co., I visited a vendor whose restaurant offers dishes made from their own farms, found right in their backyard. The Matunuck Oyster Bar offers dishes made with seafood that is ‘farm raised and wild caught’ as well as the vegetables found in their pond. After speaking with Perry Raso, it was clear that he, like Sheehan, cares about buying locally grown as well as fresh products for his dishes, if he can’t find the ingredients in his Oyster and Vegetable Farms.

Found in Potter Pond, Matunuck RI, Raso grows his own herbs and vegetables right in the backyard of the Oyster Bar Restaurant. Using seeds and chemically free ways of growing, Raso’s products are organic and fresh. Similar to The Humble Pie Co., Raso sells his vegetables to other local businesses as well as at farmer’s markets.

His oyster farm, also located in the backyard of the restaurant, hosts a shellfish nursery. The products found in this farm are also sold within the restaurant, as well as to other local businesses within Rhode Island. The fresh oysters that will be served on your plate can be found off the waterfront patio of the pond itself, found right outside the window next to you if you’re dining in the restaurant! Raso explained to me that his company also offers tours right on the oyster farm. These tours consist of introducing his consumers to aquaculture, fisheries, and even cultivation on both a local and global level. These tours provide an educational and fun experience for all ages.


In addition to buying and selling locally, Raso has created his business on the foundation of green initiatives. Examples of these include non-chemical growing methods as well as recyclable containers that customers take home after eating in the restaurant. These containers can even be reused if not composted. Other green actions taken by Raso’s company include beach clean ups throughout the year.

Menu items within the Matunuck Oyster Bar range anywhere from $7.95- $22.95 depending on what you are looking for as a meal. Stop by this restaurant for an experience of local cuisine! If you don’t have time for a full meal, stop by the local farmer’s market to pick up some veggies and seafood for yourself and family instead.





It is businesses like The Humble Pie Co. and the Matunuck Oyster Bar that keep Rhode Island capable of being self-sustainable. Meeting these owner has opened my eyes as to how important it is to buy locally. Buying locally allows me to buy fresh products that will not only be healthier for me, but also more satisfying because I know that my money will be going to people who work hard at what they do. These business owners care about the environment, their products, and their consumers. With this being said, think about how many options you have the next time you purchase vegetables at say, Stop & Shop, or the next time you microwave a meal. Begin to take advantage of the local options you have, no matter where you are! You will begin to better yourself, your environment, and your community as a whole. For additional vendors at this farmer’s market, visit the Pawtucket/ Wintertime Farmers Market website. Buy fresh, buy local, and stay sustainable!





--Autumn Harrington--

To follow me on my journey through marketing sustainability in America and Costa Rica, follow me on Twitter!

Also, follow my class and our experiences on Twitter, as well as our blog


7 comments:

  1. Now I want a piece of Humble Pie! Everything looks delicious, so awesome that you got to speak with the owner and hear his story. He seems so personable, and it's truly inspiring that he decided to pursue his passion and open his own business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He even made me want to start a pie company and I can barely cook!

      Delete
  2. I think it is amazing that Daniel Sheehan was an architect and than became a business owner selling his own specialty pie. I wish I got the chance to taste his products because they look delicious!

    -Ellissa Cho

    -Ellissa Cho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure to visit his website located in my blog! And don't worry, he will be attempting to open stores in RI within the next few years, so you'll be able to try all of the pies! Stay tuned

      Delete
  3. Great post, Autumn! It looks like you were able to learn a lot about Humble Pie and Matunuck Oyster Bar! Do you think the need to understand the environment from Daniel Sheehan's architecture background may have influenced him in being sustainable and using local products, or was this another passion of his? It's also really exciting to see how Raso is so involved in all areas of his Oyster farm, and manages to be green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe his background in architecture absolutely influenced his need to bake and use local products. He worked in numerous coffee shops when he was younger, so maybe this part of his life was a trigger to take care of his customers, his environment and even other local businesses. His passion in his voice when telling me his story was inspiring!

      Delete
  4. I love that Daniel took the time to share his story with you, especially since the farmers market was so busy that day! It's clear that he's passionate about what he does. His description of the pie as fresh, simple, and community is such a unique concept. It's a message that I think many people will appreciate and connect to!

    - Kasey Mazza

    - Kasey Mazza

    ReplyDelete