Monday, May 4, 2015

"Ticos & Ticas" Do It Better

Traveling to Costa Rica was an amazing experience. It was wonderful to travel with my school because we didn't do the “usual tourist” attractions. I enjoyed every piece of Costa Rica. Being that this was my first international trip I was so excited to get there and had all intentions of capturing every moment.


In a week’s span we visited over 10 different locations and had the opportunity of speaking with so many locals that were passionate about their country. From the multiple farms/plantations, hotels, and markets we visited to learning about the culture of the country; It was such a remarkable time and I can't wait to go back.
(Video to the right is from the Tirimbina Biological Reserve Chocolate Tour)



Poster at the Tirimbina Biological Reserve 
I enjoyed learning about the Costa Rican history, their methods of sustainability, how they promote ecotourism, and the food; but what I enjoyed most were the locals. After speaking to many locals in multiple different cities and regions of the country, I learned that they all have one thing in common. They all love their country and work hard to preserve their culture and land.






The Costa Rican people a.k.a. “Ticos & Ticas” work tirelessly to protect their culture and way of living. They pride themselves in coexisting with the environment to keep Costa Rica beautiful and flourishing. I understand why “ticos” are called the happiest people in the world because that is genuinely what they are. Everyone we met was very pleasant to talk to. Our tour guide Miguel a.k.a. Miguelito was always in high spirits and continuously teaching us, the methods of how to live sustainable. The “ticos” are very motivating people. They strive to educate tourist on their country, how they can help benefit, and how to protect the land. They are very eager to show off the beauty of Costa Rica. 

This trip to Costa Rica not only taught me how to be sustainable and how to make sustainable decisions but also taught me how to care about my community. Since being back in the United States, I am actively trying to practice sustainability in multiple ways. I now look to purchase fair trade products, shop with-in my local community, and even shut off or unplug electronics when not in use to conserve energy. Costa Rica has taught me that it’s the little things that matter.



Follow us on twitter: @BryantMKT421

~T.E.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment