Sunday, May 3, 2015

Back in the United States!

Costa Rica was the experience of a life time.  Sustainability Marketing 421 is a tremendous opportunity that goes way beyond what students can learn sitting in a classroom.  This class allowed our small group of students to make farms, coffee plantations, recycling plants, the rainforest, and more exotic locations our classroom!  This class gave students the opportunity to learn about sustainability practices from people who live a lifestyle of sustainability in Costa Rica.  This class provided me with a learning opportunity but also allowed me to change the way I live my life on a day to day basis once experiencing how Costa Ricans live in person.
Fruit demonstration during our Highland Fruit Tour.
Being back at Bryant, I have attempted to change the way I live as well as influence others. Before going to sleep or when leaving my suite, I always make sure that all lights and appliances are shut off.  In addition, I have reduced the amount of food I take at Salmo, to reduce my own personal food waste.  I also reuse plates and cups at Salmo to reduce the amount of soap and water needed to clean more dishes.  While walking around campus, I make sure to help others be sustainable as well.  I have described my experiences in Costa Rica to others in an attempt to gain awareness for environmental issues.  I also love yelling at people to recycle when my friends get up to throw something away.
 I have also noticed the current sustainability efforts here on campus as well.  There are many organizations on campus here at Bryant who try to implement change on campus.  Aramark, Bryant’s food provider, also does a lot to promote sustainability.  Aramark weighed food waste one day for example, illustrating to students how they can be more cautious to help the environment.  Aramark also separates paper for compost.  There are signs all over Salmo which discuss sustainability issues as well.  This class was helpful because it allows more Bryant students to get involved in this change occurring on campus.

BryantMkt421 students learning about the coffee process.
Finally, this class was just plain fun.  This class allowed me to experience some once-in-a-lifetime activities, such as zip lining through the rain forest in Tortuguero, relaxing in natural hot springs with hot water sourcing from a volcano, and whitewater rafting with the beautiful scenery of Costa Rica.  This trip allowed me to learn, have fun, and bond with a group of Bryant University students and faculty for a life changing experience that I will never forget.  This course should be number one on students’ lists when registering for classes.  Sustainability is a topic that compliments business majors.  Sustainability practices are being adopted by a majority of companies in an attempt to create respectable business ethics.  I personally promise that taking this course will change your life and help you stand out when pursuing an internship or job.  Pura Vida


BryantMkt421 students learning about sustainability with our tour guide Jonathon.

-Ronald Wagner


Whitewater rafting! #TeamHorsePower

No comments:

Post a Comment