Sunday, May 3, 2015

A Pura Vida life is a life for me!

Pura Vida.

A simple Spanish phrase that translates to Pure Life, has great meaning.

In Costa Rica, Pura Vida is more than a way to say hello, but how are you and how is your life going? Not only is it a greeting between Costa Ricans but it is their way of life. Some of the most important takeaways from our visit to the different areas of Costa Rica was noticing how the locals treat their environment, interact within their communities and place an emphasis on sustainability. It's no wonder why Costa Rica ranks as one of the happiest countries in the world!

I can honestly say this trip has had an impact on the way that I think about sustainability and I am currently working towards having a "Pura Vida."

After having the opportunity to interact with locals, whether it be at Don Juan farm in Arena or La Quinta Inn in Sarapiqui, I began to apply changes to my lifestyle to be more sustainable and eco-friendly towards my environment. Below are some examples as to how I have done so:




 Our trip has helped me realize how important it is to give back to the community to help maintain small, local shops and farmers. In addition, I have been more mindful when it comes to recycling waste and reducing the amount of plastic I use throughout my daily life. While these are small changes, they are a start. By incorporating these changes into my life, I hope to influence others to do the same and therefore begin reducing our combined ecological footprint to help create a better environment that can be sustained for future generations.

Just like the Costa Ricans, I hope that someday we too will be able to say "Pura Vida" to everyone we encounter throughout our daily lives.

-Tayla Benoit (@TaylaBenoit)

No comments:

Post a Comment