Sunday, May 3, 2015

PuRa ViDa!



When I look back on this trip all I can do is smile. 
I think about all of the amazing information we learned, the people we met, the laughs we had and the friendships we made. 
From the start of this trip I was impressed with Costa Rica's sustainability efforts, especially by how excited everyone we met was to share their knowledge about sustainability.
Krysia and I with a local farmer's son



I had no idea what sustainability was or what an impact being sustainable can have on our world. Sustainability is something that people are becoming more aware of and educated on however, there is still much to learn and to be taught. 

I focused on the ecotourism aspect of Costa Rica during our trip and it changed my ideas of travel completely. I read that "The development of sustainable tourism must be seen as the balanced interaction between the use of our natural and cultural resources, the improvement of the quality of life among the local communities, and the economic success of the industry" (CST, 1997). This is something we did during our trip and by traveling this way I grew both intellectually and individually. I learned how ecotourism gives you a unique and unforgettable travel experience.

Jonathan and  my amazing team!



I will always remember the pure joy on Jonathan's face as he passionately educated us about his sustainability efforts and how we can be more sustainable. Every person we met and spoke to in Costa Rica lit up when they told us about sustainability because it was something they believe in.
 


I will never forget the millions of bright stars on the beach of Tortuguero or the rush of plunging under water white water rafting or Miguel's lack of weather forecasting abilities.This trip was an amazing experience which I feel so fortunate to have been a part of. We learned not only about sustainability but about how to salsa and how coffee is made and we made life long friends a long the way. 

The best group of ecotourists from Bryant University!

Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @BryantMKT421 to learn more about our adventures and how you can improve your sustainable practices and preserve our beautiful planet. 
PS check out my teams project on Prezi about ecotourism: 
https://prezi.com/fy89cjorddwo/ecotourism/

Pura Vida! 
Emily McLaughlin

No comments:

Post a Comment