Thursday, April 23, 2015

A Sustainable Future


 
 
Costa Rica was an eye opening experience for me and the results were life changing. Prior to the trip my knowledge of sustainability was narrow and limited to just recycling bins; now I can grasp a full understanding of not only the broad aspects of sustainability but the significant impacts it has.
 
 
 
It is important to fully understand the need for and impacts of sustainability practices, especially from a business perspective. Profit-driven businesses often lack sustainable practices. Learning about some of Costa Rica’s businesses and how they coup with the extra efforts despite the additional costs was inspiring to me. I also now make it a point to support local farmers and businesses that source locally, by not only providing them my business over competitors, but also promoting their sustainable efforts through social media.
Learning the importance of sustainable practices through our adventures has inspired me to make small daily changes as well, such as: shorter showers, wearing some clothes twice before washing to decrease load size, using natural light more often than electrical, never wasting food, carpooling, and just always being conscious of things that are on and not being used. Hopefully one day when I have a place of my own I can become even more sustainable and incorporate composting, personal gardening, sorted recycling, and who knows maybe even potential wind or sun powered energy.
I definitely miss the beach and the sun but the places we visited and the people we talked to have changed my perception of sustainability, teaching me lifelong values for a better tomorrow.  
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @BryantMKT421 to learn more about our adventures and how you can improve your sustainable practices and preserve our beautiful planet. Pura Vida! - Krysia Syska
 


No comments:

Post a Comment